There is more to your deck and poolside area than Adirondack chairs, wicker furniture and plastic woven lounge chairs that you can find in any catalog or department store. Bring the same mindset you have for interior decorating to your outdoor space.
Rustic, weathered and nautical themes are very charming, but you can certainly create a contemporary, sophisticated feeling in your backyard with the right furniture and design choices. Here are six ways to furnish and decorate your backyard with a more modern, artistic feel.
1) Choose furniture with neutral, natural colors, like black, white and tan, especially if you have the naturally colorful backdrop of a green lawn or blue water. Your furniture will always look clean and help create a feeling of serenity.
2) Introduce color with bright flowers, tropical plants, pillows, table runners, colorful containers and other accessories in different sizes and textures.
3) Create an interesting profile with furniture of different heights. If you have a sofa, chairs and coffee table with a low profile, use a tall pub table with stools for balance.
4) Create a natural transition between your outdoor and indoor spaces by incorporating the same color palette in both areas. Also, forget the paper plates and plastic forks. Bring the indoors outside in the form of your favorite dishes and glassware.
5) Arrange furniture close together to create intimate areas for conversation and even romance. Make sure you include a table or two for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
6) Incorporate lighting for evening gatherings. Instead of candles and tiki torches, use outdoor lighting that fits seamlessly with your décor and the natural landscape of your outdoor area.
Show us how you’ve decorated and furnished the outdoor area around your home!